Spam Protection: How to Approach Email Security for Your Organization
Inundated with email spam? Face it, we all are nowadays. Email threats and spam messages are dominating our inboxes, and, in turn, causing major problems for businesses and end users. Technology and computers are the hub of business in today's world; that being said, mostly every organization relies on email in some way, shape, or form. It was recently reported that 90% of all email is spam. Many small and midsized businesses that use email can't afford to have a full time, internal IT staff to assist them with their every problem, making them more vulnerable to spam and email threats. Email security has been a growing problem for SMBs.
Here are five simple solutions SMBs can utilize to help bolster your organizations email security and fight spam:
Your best bet to avoid spam is to not get on a spammers list to begin with. But hey, it's not a perfect world, we ALL receive spam constantly.
1) When you post in forums, chats, and other websites - often times you're asked to leave your email. DON'T do this anymore. Instead make something up or make it unclear. You need to be careful what you do with your email address. Think of it this way, would you willingly give your home address to a bunch of criminals?
2) Don't sign up for offers or membership with your business/personal email account. When you do so, you're practically inviting the spam into your house. Also, make sure you look a the little checkboxes that often appear when your signing up for something online. Don't opt in to receive stuff when you don't want it - plain and simple.
3) Spam is often inviting. It often prompts opening it by relaying to you that "You Won", "You Requested" "You Signed Up".... Ignore this; this is usually an email spam red flag.
4) Do you know who sent you your email? You should! Make it a priority to assume that all email from unknown senders is spam.
5) Lastly but definitely not least, look into anti spamming protection and email spam protection. This is key. Here at Mosaic, we offer Google's Postini solution. Postini basically takes the hit off of your mail server and is your first line of defense. Postini filters your mail and prevents your mail server from taking an attack. This ultimately takes the hits from going to your network and affecting your organization.
If you'd like to learn more regarding how to block spam, contact Mosaic Technology today! Call us at 484-323-5020!